CS3351 DATA STRUCTURES ANNA UNIVERSITY SYLLABUS
CS3351 DATA STRUCTURES L T P C 3 0 0 3
• To understand the concepts of ADTs.
• To Learn linear data structures – lists, stacks, and queues.
• To understand non-linear data structures – trees and graphs.
• To understand sorting, searching and hashing algorithms.
• To apply Tree and Graph structures.
UNIT I LISTS 9
Abstract Data Types (ADTs) – List ADT – Array-based implementation – Linked list implementation – Singly linked lists – Circularly linked lists – Doubly-linked lists – Applications of lists – Polynomial ADT
– Radix Sort – Multilists.
UNIT II STACKS AND QUEUES 9
Stack ADT – Operations – Applications – Balancing Symbols – Evaluating arithmetic expressions- Infix to Postfix conversion – Function Calls – Queue ADT – Operations – Circular Queue – DeQueue – Applications of Queues.
UNIT III TREES 9
Tree ADT – Tree Traversals - Binary Tree ADT – Expression trees – Binary Search Tree ADT – AVL Trees – Priority Queue (Heaps) – Binary Heap.
UNIT IV MULTIWAY SEARCH TREES AND GRAPHS 9
B-Tree – B+ Tree – Graph Definition – Representation of Graphs – Types of Graph - Breadth-first traversal – Depth-first traversal –– Bi-connectivity – Euler circuits – Topological Sort – Dijkstra's algorithm – Minimum Spanning Tree – Prim's algorithm – Kruskal's algorithm
UNIT V SEARCHING, SORTING AND HASHING TECHNIQUES 9
Searching – Linear Search – Binary Search. Sorting – Bubble sort – Selection sort – Insertion sort
– Shell sort –. Merge Sort – Hashing – Hash Functions – Separate Chaining – Open Addressing – Rehashing – Extendible Hashing.
At the end of this course, the students will be able to:
CO1: Define linear and non-linear data structures.
CO2: Implement linear and non–linear data structure operations.
CO3: Use appropriate linear/non–linear data structure operations for solving a given problem.
CO4: Apply appropriate graph algorithms for graph applications.
CO5: Analyze the various searching and sorting algorithms.
- Mark Allen Weiss, Data Structures and Algorithm Analysis in C, 2nd Edition, Pearson Education, 2005.
- Kamthane, Introduction to Data Structures in C, 1st Edition, Pearson Education, 2007
- Langsam, Augenstein and Tanenbaum, Data Structures Using C and C++, 2nd Edition, Pearson Education, 2015.
- Thomas H. Cormen, Charles E. Leiserson, Ronald L.Rivest, Clifford Stein, Introduction to Algorithms", Fourth Edition, Mcgraw Hill/ MIT Press, 2022.
- Alfred V. Aho, Jeffrey D. Ullman,John E. Hopcroft ,Data Structures and Algorithms, 1st edition, Pearson, 2002.
- Kruse, Data Structures and Program Design in C, 2nd Edition, Pearson Education, 2006.