EC3353 ELECTRONIC DEVICES AND CIRCUITS
COURSE OBJECTIVES :
- To give comprehensive exposure to all types of devices and circuits constructed with discrete components. This helps to develop a strong basis for building linear and digital integrated circuits
- To analyze the frequency response of small signal amplifiers
- To design and analyze single-stage and multistage amplifier circuits
- To study feedback amplifiers and oscillators principles
To understand the analysis and design of multivibrators
UNIT I SEMICONDUCTOR DEVICES 9
PN junction diode, Zener diode, BJT, MOSFET, UJT –structure, operation and V-I characteristics, diffusion and transition capacitance – Rectifiers – Half Wave and Full Wave Rectifier, Zener as regulator
UNIT II AMPLIFIERS 9
Load line, operating point, biasing methods for BJT and MOSFET, BJT small signal model – Analysis of CE, CB, CC amplifiers- Gain and frequency response –MOSFET small signal model– Analysis of CS, CG and Source follower – Gain and frequency response- High frequency analysis.
UNIT III MULTISTAGE AMPLIFIERS AND DIFFERENTIAL AMPLIFIER 9
Cascode amplifier, Differential amplifier – Common mode and Difference mode analysis – MOSFET input stages – tuned amplifiers – Gain and frequency response – Neutralization methods.
UNIT IV FEEDBACK AMPLIFIERS AND OSCILLATORS 9
Advantages of negative feedback – Voltage / Current, Series , Shunt feedback Amplifiers – positive feedback–Condition for oscillations, phase shift – Wien bridge, Hartley, Colpitts and Crystal oscillators.
UNIT V POWER AMPLIFIERS AND DC/DC CONVERTERS 9
Power amplifiers- class A-Class B-Class AB-Class C-Power MOSFET-Temperature Effect- Class AB Power amplifier using MOSFET –DC/DC convertors – Buck, Boost, Buck-Boost analysis and design.
TOTAL: 45 PERIODS
COURSE OUTCOMES :
At the end of the course the students will be able to
CO1: Explain the structure and working operation of basic electronic devices. CO2: Design and analyze amplifiers.
CO3: Analyze frequency response of BJT and MOSFET amplifiers CO4: Design and analyze feedback amplifiers and oscillator principles. CO5: Design and analyze power amplifiers and supply circuits
TEXT BOOKS :
- David Bell, “Electronic Devices and Circuits”, Oxford Higher Education press, 5 th Edition, 2010.
- Robert Boylestad and Louis Nasheresky, “Electronic Devices and Circuit Theory”, 10th Edition, Pearson Education / PHI, 2008.
- Adel .S. Sedra, Kenneth Smith, “Micro Electronic Circuits”, Oxford University Press, 7 th Edition, 2014.
- A. Neamen, “Electronic Circuit Analysis and Design”, Tata McGraw Hill, 3 rd Edition, 2010.
- Schilling and C.Belove, “Electronic Circuits”, McGraw Hill, 3 rd Edition, 1989
- Muhammad Rashid, “Power Electronics”, Pearson Education / PHI , 2004.