NETWORKS AND SECURITY
- To learn the Network Models and datalink layer functions.
- To understand routing in the Network
- To explore methods of communication and congestion control by the Transport Layer.
- To study the Network Security Mechanisms.
- To learn various hardware security attacks and their countermeasures.
UNIT I NETWORK MODELS AND DATALINK LAYER 9
Overview of Networks and its Attributes – Network Models – OSI, TCP/IP, Addressing – Introduction to Datalink Layer – Error Detection and Correction – Ethernet(802.3)- Wireless LAN – IEEE 802.11, Bluetooth – Flow and Error Control Protocols – HDLC – PPP.
UNIT II NETWORK LAYER PROTOCOLS 9
Network Layer – IPv4 Addressing – Network Layer Protocols(IP,ICMP and Mobile IP) Unicast and Multicast Routing – Intradomain and Interdomain Routing Protocols – IPv6 Addresses – IPv6 – Datagram Format – Transition from IPv4 to IPv6.
UNIT III TRANSPORT AND APPLICATION LAYERS 9
Transport Layer Protocols – UDP and TCP Connection and State Transition Diagram – Congestion Control and Avoidance(DEC bit, RED)- QoS – Application Layer Paradigms – Client – Server Programming – Domain Name System – World Wide Web, HTTP, Electronic Mail.
UNIT IV NETWORK SECURITY 9
OSI Security Architecture – Attacks – Security Services and Mechanisms – Encryption –Advanced Encryption Standard – Public Key Cryptosystems – RSA Algorithm – Hash Functions – Secure Hash Algorithm – Digital Signature Algorithm.
UNIT V HARDWARE SECURITY 9
Introduction to hardware security, Hardware Trojans, Side – Channel Attacks – Physical Attacks and Countermeasures – Design for Security. Introduction to Blockchain Technology.
Experiments using C
- Implement the Data Link Layer framing methods,
- Bit stuffing, (ii) Character stuffing
- Implementation of Error Detection / Correction Techniques
- LRC, (ii) CRC, (iii) Hamming code
- Implementation of Stop and Wait, and Sliding Window Protocols
- Implementation of Go back-N and Selective Repeat
- Implementation of Distance Vector Routing algorithm (Routing Information Protocol) (Bellman-Ford).
- Implementation of Link State Routing algorithm (Open Shortest Path First) with 5 nodes (Dijkstra’s).
- Data encryption and decryption using Data Encryption Standard
- Data encryption and decryption using RSA (Rivest, Shamir and Adleman)
- Implement Client Server model using FTP
Experiments using Tool Command Language
- Implement and realize the Network Topology – Star, Bus and Ring using NS2.
- Implement and perform the operation of CSMA/CD and CSMA/CA using NS2.
Upon successful completion of the course the student will be able to CO1: Explain the Network Models, layers and functions.
CO2: Categorize and classify the routing protocols.
CO3: List the functions of the transport and application layer.
CO4: Evaluate and choose the network security mechanisms.
CO5: Discuss the hardware security attacks and countermeasures.
- A.Forouzan, Data Communication and Networking, Fifth Edition, TMH, 2017.(Unit
- William Stallings, Cryptography and Network Security, Seventh Edition, Pearson Education, 2017(Unit- IV)
- Bhunia Swarup, Hardware Security –A Hands On Approach,Morgan Kaufmann, First edition, (Unit – V).
- F.Kurose and Keith.W.Ross, Computer Networking – A Top – Down Approach, Sixth Edition, Pearson, 2017.
- Doughlas .E.Comer, Computer Networks and Internets with Internet Applications, Fourth Edition, Pearson Education,