ENVIRONMENTAL SCIENCES AND SUSTAINABILITY
UNIT I ENVIRONMENT AND BIODIVERSITY 6
Definition, scope and importance of environment – need for public awareness.Eco-system and Energy flow– ecological succession. Types of biodiversity: genetic, species and ecosystem diversity– values of biodiversity, India as a mega-diversity nation – hot-spots of biodiversity – threats to biodiversity: habitat loss, poaching of wildlife, man-wildlife conflicts – endangered and endemic species of India – conservation of biodiversity: In-situ and ex-situ.
UNIT II ENVIRONMENTAL POLLUTION 6
Causes, Effects and Preventive measures of Water, Soil, Air and Noise Pollutions. Solid, Hazardous and E-Waste management. Case studies on Occupational Health and Safety Management system (OHASMS). Environmental protection, Environmental protection acts .
UNIT III RENEWABLE SOURCES OF ENERGY 6
Energy management and conservation, New Energy Sources: Need of new sources. Different types new energy sources. Applications of- Hydrogen energy, Ocean energy resources, Tidal energy conversion. Concept, origin and power plants of geothermal energy.
UNIT IV SUSTAINABILITY AND MANAGEMENT 6
Development , GDP ,Sustainability- concept, needs and challenges-economic, social and aspects of sustainability-from unsustainability to sustainability-millennium development goals, and protocols-Sustainable Development Goals-targets, indicators and intervention areas Climate change- Global, Regional and local environmental issues and possible solutions-case studies. Concept of Carbon Credit, Carbon Footprint. Environmental management in industry-A case study.
UNIT V SUSTAINABILITY PRACTICES 6
Zero waste and R concept, Circular economy, ISO 14000 Series, Material Life cycle assessment, Environmental Impact Assessment. Sustainable habitat: Green buildings, Green materials, Energy efficiency, Sustainable transports. Sustainable energy: Non-conventional Sources, Energy Cycles-carbon cycle, emission and sequestration, Green Engineering: Sustainable urbanization- Socio-economical and technological change.
TEXT BOOKS :
- Anubha Kaushik and P. Kaushik’s “Perspectives in Environmental Studies”, 6th Edition, New Age International Publishers ,2018.
- Benny Joseph, ‘Environmental Science and Engineering’, Tata McGraw-Hill, New Delhi,
- Gilbert Masters, ‘Introduction to Environmental Engineering and Science’, 2nd edition, Pearson Education, 2004.
- Allen, T. and Shonnard, D. R., Sustainability Engineering: Concepts, Design and Case Studies, Prentice Hall.
- A.S; Adebayo, A.O., Maria, P. Engineering applications in sustainable design and development, Cengage learning.
- Environment Impact Assessment Guidelines, Notification of Government of India,
- Mackenthun, M., Basic Concepts in Environmental Management, Lewis Publication, London, 1998.
- K. Trivedi, ‘Handbook of Environmental Laws, Rules, Guidelines, Compliances and Standards’, Vol. I and II, Enviro Media. 38 . edition 2010.
- Cunningham, P. Cooper, T.H. Gorhani, ‘Environmental Encyclopedia’, Jaico Publ., House, Mumbai, 2001.
- Dharmendra Sengar, ‘Environmental law’, Prentice hall of India PVT. LTD, New Delhi, 2007.
- Rajagopalan, R, ‘Environmental Studies-From Crisis to Cure’, Oxford University Press, Third Edition,
- Erach Bharucha “Textbook of Environmental Studies for Undergraduate Courses” Orient Blackswan Ltd. 2013.
Click Here to Download Question Paper- Apr/May 2017
Click Here to Download Question Paper- Apr/May 2018
Click Here to Download Question Paper- Nov/Dec 2017
Click Here to Download Anna University Syllabus